Hey everyone! Happy February! It’s also American Heart month. Staples has started a campaign called #GetOutAndGo that I thought you might be interested in. In honor of this, I began working with Staples to come up with some fitness and heart health goals for this month. At the end of the month, I will check in with my goals and will be giving away a Fitbit!
To make sure I knew what I was talking about as far as goals, I checked out the American Heart Association’s website to see some facts. One of the biggest things I think of when I think of heart health is stress. In this day and age I feel that people are constantly stressed out, which is of course not good for your heart. Here are a few things that stress causes:
Aches and Pains
- Neck ache
- Stomach ache
- Tight muscles
- Clenched jaw
Energy Level and Sleep*
- Feeling tired without a good reason
- Trouble sleeping
- Out of control
Other Emotional Signs
- Easily irritated
I don’t know about you but I think that is a lot of scary stuff.I don’t want those things in my life, so one of my goals for this month is to work on my stress level. How do I plan to do that?
1.) Take time for myself every day2.) Delegate3.) Let things go4.) plan aheadI also checked out the AHA recommendation for overall cardiovascular health for adults and exercise. Here is what they recommend:
- At least
30 minutes of moderate-intensity
- aerobic activity at least
5 days per week for a total of 150
- At least 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least 3 days per week for a total of 75 minutes; or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity
- Moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity at least 2 days per week for additional health benefits.
I decided to make my physical activity goal for the month a pretty lofty one since I have a full marathon coming up in March. My goal is to run 100 miles this month. I’m not sure I have ever done that. I ran 80 in January so I think I can do it! Staples has provided me with some gear to help me achieve my goals. I received a balance board, some compression socks, a foam roller, a Garmin 10, and a fitbit of my own to help me be more heart healthy this month.
- Stay tuned at the end of the month to see if I reached my goals and you will be able to enter to win a
- ! Play along this month with #GetOutAndGo when sharing on social media what you are doing to be heart healthy!
QOTD: What is a heart healthy goal you have this month?