A Day in the Life…January 2015

I last did one of these posts at the end of October, and since babies change so quickly, I wanted to do another one. Today was a bit out of the ordinary because Bobby was home sick for a half day, but other than him being at home to help, this pretty much sums up my days.

5:30: I hear some noises on the monitor. They wake me up, and I lay in bed listening to see if Emma Kate will go back to sleep. In about 10 minutes she does, but I am wide awake, because I keep thinking at any minute she will REALLY be up.

6:50: I’m still laying in bed awake, and EK wakes up for good. I go get her, change her diaper, and make her bottle. We sit on the couch together and watch TV while she eats. I make some coffee, take the dog out, feed her, and eat a Quest bar. Bobby wasn’t feeling good last night and told me to let him sleep until 9:00 and that he would go into work late.

7:15 It’s pouring down rain and chilly, and I’m trying to decide what to do about my workout. Normally, I would take Emma Kate to the gym childcare but I really don’t want to get out in this nasty weather, and I have no idea if Bobby will end up staying home or not so I just decide to think on it. I talk to Emma, she spits up a good bit per usual, and we play with her stuffed animals. She wants to sit up on her own so badly and gets mad when she can’t. She is getting really good at reaching out and grabbing toys, so I hold some in front of her to take.

7:45 We have moved from the couch to the activity mat to her bouncy seat. I answer a few emails while she entertains herself kicking and watching the toys dangle from above.

8:00: She is getting bored of the bouncy seat and lets me know it. I walk her around the house a bit pointing things out to her then put her in the jumparoo for a bit. I answer some more emails, wash some bottles, and tidy up the kitchen.

IMG_2104 (2)

8:40: EK is starting to get fussy, it’s almost nap time. She is wet and covered in spit up and drool, so I take her into her room to change her clothes and diaper. She knows that means it’s nap time and instantly starts to cry. I put her down and she cries for about 30 seconds and then falls asleep. whew.

8:45: I see a break in the rain, it’s now just a drizzle, and decide since the baby is asleep I could get my run over with while she naps and Bobby can still sleep. I hurry up and change, put the monitor on Bobby’s nightstand, and head out the door.

9:20: I am back from my 3 mile run. It was just “eh”. It rained the whole time, but I wisely wore a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes. Bobby wakes up when I come in and I tell him I’m going to jump in the shower and to listen for the baby.

9:45: I am clean again, feeling good after a morning workout, and the baby is awake. Since Bobby feels sick he doesn’t want to get too close to her, so I make her a bottle and he sits on the couch with her while I make Bobby some chicken noodle soup.

9:55: I take advantage of Bobby momentarily watching EK and fold and put away some of her laundry, clean up some things in her room, and unload the dishwasher.

10:15: Emma Kate is getting bored so we do some tummy time on her mat and I talk to Bobby. He’s feeling pretty crummy but has to go into work at some point, and decided to just go in a half day after lunch. I give him some Tylenol and cough drops.

IMG_2095 (2)

10:45: I play some more with EK, handing her different toys and saying different words to her. I film a video of her talking and put it on Instagram. She’s usually in a good mood and laughs a lot in the mornings, but as the day goes on she gets more cranky. Right now, she is still happy so I am getting lots of smiles and giggles. I eat some cheese and crackers and decide to eat lunch later.

11:15 Bobby decides to take a nap before going into work. I start walking the baby around my closet showing her different bright colors and patterns on my clothes. We walk all around until she starts yawning.

11:35 I begin walking into her room, and again she starts crying immediately, knowing it’s nap time. This little girl is going to be a handful, Very stubborn and dramatic. I wonder where she gets it? She goes into the swaddle and I rock her for a minute, but she is not having any of it. I put her down and she calms down on her own (we are really working on self soothing these days) and she is asleep in less than 10 minutes. I take advantage of my time and do some work. I have a few quotes to do and things to enter in for my travel work, and I start working on a blog post for work about the Disney Cruise Line.

12:20: Times flies, and I hear some grumblings coming from Emma’s room. I change her, shes smiling and happy to see me. Soon though, she starts getting really upset wanting a bottle. I go as fast as I can (which is apparently never fast enough!) and we settle in on the couch to eat and hang out.

12:50: Bobby wakes up from his nap and gets ready for work. It was nice having him there this morning even though he was asleep most of the time. I get pretty lonely at home with the baby some days.

1:00: Bobby leaves, and Emma Kate and I spend the next hour rotating between her bouncy seat, bumbo, jumparoo, activity mat, and boppy. She is drooling a lot and is pretty cranky so I’m wondering if maybe a tooth is coming soon?

IMG_2113 (2)

2:00: I realize I never ate lunch. I pop some almonds in my mouth and text Bobby about going to the grocery store. He wants to get some ginger ale so offers to pick up a couple of things so I can make dinner later. By this point the baby is super cranky, so we walk around and “fly” around the room until I decide the only thing to cure the grump is a nap.

2:15: I change her outfit because again, the spit up and drool quantity is astronomical, change her diaper, and it’s time for a nap. She is really unhappy this time and screams pretty loud but just for about ten minutes, then she is out. I feel pretty lucky that she has gotten the hang of nap time quickly and only cries for just a few minutes, sometimes just a few seconds. MUCH better than rocking her to sleep for thirty minutes for 4 naps a day. (We just started putting her down awake this past weekend).

2:20: I am back on the computer writing, quoting, and answering emails for clients. I have several in Disney World right now and several going next month so it’s a busy time.

2:45: She. is. awake. that was like a 27 minute nap. I typically get 35-45 so this one is super short. She wants to eat again, so I fix another bottle and Bobby says he is coming home, that he still feels really crummy.


3:15: Bobby comes home so he entertains EK while I make some tacos. Neither of us have had lunch, so we decide to go ahead and have dinner now.

3:30: we eat and then it’s back to entertaining the wee one. Bobby is pretty pathetic on the couch, but I try to squeeze in some work since he can help with the baby a bit.

4:15: I get on the floor with EK and we do some more tummy time. Then she spits up EVERYWHERE. Time for another bib, outfit, and diaper change.

4:30: Almost time for our final nap. I really wish she would drop to three naps and just make them longer, but right now she is napping every two hours like clockwork.

4:45: Bobby puts her down for me so I can get back to blogging and working. She sleeps, and I sit at the kitchen table at my laptop and get as much done as I can. (by the way, if I get another email from a company asking me to write a blog post and in return “they will pick their favorites and give a social media shout out” I’m going to scream). I dust the living room, take the dog out, and hang up some clothes in my bedroom.

5:55: Over an hour nap, very long for her. Since her last one was so short maybe she is playing catch up. Another diaper change, and time to eat again. I give her a couple of ounces less than usual so she will eat a couple more ounces before she goes to bed.

5:55: We play some more, and she bounces in her jumparoo (she loves that thing!) She is learning to roll the wheel to make noises, etc. It’s really fun to watch her learn new things!

6:30: Time for a bath for the baby, PJ’s, snuggles and another couple of ounces from her bottle.

IMG_2120 (2)

7:00: bedtime for EK! Bobby puts her down at night typically which is nice because then I am “off duty”. I grab a snack since I had dinner so early, grab my iPad, and head upstairs to watch some tv. I check work emails (it never ends) while I watch, and end up doing some quotes for potential clients.

8:30: I decide to start heading towards bed. Typically EK lets me sleep until 6:30-7:00ish, so today was abnormal for me to be up at 5:30, which I am thankful for! I take Bella out, brush my teeth wash my face, and climb into bed with my iPad.

9:00: I end up reading and posting to social media, as well as replying to a couple of emails and finally turn the lights off at 9:30. I figure even if she is up at 5:30 I can get 8 hours. Five to six nights a week Emma Kate will sleep 11-12 hours straight though, and we are so very lucky!

10:00 I finally fall asleep. Then it starts all over again!

QOTD: Are your days pretty much the same or different every day?

Get Your Free Printable Set!

Goal and fitness

Sign up to get my free printables on goal setting & fitness tracking.

Powered by ConvertKit


  1. I don’t have kids yet, and I’m not even pregnant but hearing stories like this scare me. It seems like you are constantly having to do something different to keep her happy. Maybe it’s because I don’t know the feeling of it being my own child, I don’t know. Did you ever feel that way when reading about others experiences before you had EK?

    • yup and I still feel that way. I always wondered what people did all day with babies, and it really is exhausting. Once she can use her hands better I’m hoping she will be able to entertain herself for longer, but right now she wants me to play with her and show her things. It’s super hard to get my work done. It’s a HUGE adjustment I didn’t fully comprehend before I had her! Things are def getting better and we are learning but it is still hard.

  2. love seeing what your day is like – similar to mine 🙂
    Madison is still learning what nap time is most of the time, I lay in her in crib awake but tired. It takes her a good 20-30 minutes to fall asleep. I hope over time that gets better.
    She is sleeping great at night, so I am happy about that!!
    Yay for drooling like crazy – Madison is the same!

  3. Peggi Konvicka says

    How did you become a disney travel agent? That sounds like so much fun? I would love to hear all about it from you. 🙂 I just love following your blog.

  4. This is a lot like how my days went with my first baby. He was also a huge spitter upper and fussy quite a bit. Hang in there mama. It does get better, I promise! Not only will she change but it doesn’t mean your next baby would be the same. My second was way different!

Mentioned elsewhere:

  1. runningwithsass says:

    A Day in the Life…January 2015

    I last did one of these posts at the end of October, and since babies change so quickly, I wanted to

%d bloggers like this: