Another month has come and gone! Emma Kate turned five months old while Bobby and I were in Disney last week for the Princess half marathon. I don’t feel she was as different between months three and four, but has made HUGE leaps between four and five.
This month, Emma Kate loves:
– Reaching for things. It started with her bottle, now it’s my face, her toys, the dog, anything. She finally learned she can extend her arms out and is grabbing at things out of reach now.
– Playing with her feet. She figured out she can reach them and even put her toes in her mouth, so now whenever she is put on her back her legs immediately go up in the air towards her hands.
– Singing to herself. When she wakes up from a nap or in the mornings, now she will lay in her crib and just talk and sing until I go and get her. It’s so funny to hear her carrying on conversations with herself!
– Bella. She is obsessed with watching her every move. Bella could care less about the baby, but EK follows her with her head/eyes around the house all day long. It’s funny because she has been there the whole time but is just now realizing it!
– Jumping jumping jumping. Last month she loved her jumper but would just kind of wiggle around and step in it, but this month she figured out how to bounce really high and she does it nonstop, typically only on one foot.
– Still obsessed with chewing on her hands, her toys, anything she can put in her mouth.
She does NOT like:
-Taking her zantac. Before, I could squirt it in her mouth and she would make a face and swallow it. Now she has learned how to spit it back out at me! it’s made for some interesting days.
– When she is trying to sit up and you help her
-When she tries to pick up something and can’t/gets frustrated.
-Water from the bath getting in her face
As you can see, the list of her dislikes is different and shorter than last month. I feel like this month she has calmed down a lot and is more chill. She doesn’t get as upset or have as much as a temper as last month, so I hope this lasts! She is a genuinely happy girl who smiles and laughs a lot. She still gets cranky after her last nap/before bedtime, but other than that she is very cheerful. It is really funny when she does get mad though, she has the most fake cry when she gets frustrated, I call her my big faker,
Emma did great while Bobby and I were out of town, and she got to hang out with both her grandmothers for a few days. I got lots of photos and videos and status reports. The day we traveled home, she caught a bit of a stomach but which was then passed on to Bobby and my mother in law. My dad has it now but we think he got it from somewhere else. I spent the weekend bleaching the house and have been washing my hands non stop hoping I don’t get it! The baby was only sick for about 10 hours and bounced back very quickly, unlike her father ha.
We had a week or so of not as great sleep (4 month sleep regression we are guessing) where she woke up once a night every night for a week. Now she is back to only waking up once a night every 7-8 days around 3-4 am to eat. She typically sleeps between 11-12 hours and takes between 2 and 3 naps a day depending on when she wakes up. her naps are typically still very short, 30-45 minutes with the occasional one hour. She knows her routine now for naps and sleep, and barely even cries when we put her down and typically goes right to sleep. I am always watching for tiredness/cues from her, so i try not to let her get overtired to where she would get fussy or have a hard time falling asleep.
Sleep training is going great and she takes all her naps in her crib. She is in her swing at night, but as soon as we go home this weekend from my parents we are moving her to her crib at night (we had briefly put her in the crib at night but then she started waking up, and with us going out of town we decided to delay night time crib sleep until after our trip). I have stopped using the sleep sack during naps and only use it at night now or when it’s really cold outside.
The baby drinks around 31/32 ounces of formula a day (more on days she wakes up in the night to eat once) and is still in size 2 diapers. She is growing so much taller though and is in 6-9 month sleepers and pants, but can still fit into some 6 month onesies.
She can ALMOST sit up unassisted (she can for a few seconds but then falls over so I don’t count it) and can occasionally roll but not consistently. She can’t figure out what to do with her arm when she tries to roll over but she can kick her hips and legs over.
She is constantly scanning the room looking for me when she is on the floor or in her bouncer or jumparoo, and she is so much more aware of what is going on around her. She is such a good baby and I love getting up in the morning to see her because she is always so smiley and happy! I love my crazy girl!
QOTD: Did/do your babies get frustrated when they can’t do something they are trying to master?
Don’t forget to enter my freshly picked baby moccasins giveaway!