Hospital Week

Oh boy. What a whirlwind the past few days have been. I will be sharing fun photos and video from our gender reveal party tomorrow, but I am just still too tired today to write all about it and edit photos!

So instead I will tell you what has been going on with my family the past few days. Wednesday night at 8:00, I got a frantic call (I mean FRANTIC) that my dad had passed out and the paramedics were there. I couldn’t understand anything else she was saying, except he was going to the hospital. I immediately sent out texts and tweets asking for prayers (thank you all so much by the way!)

I grabbed a few clothes, jumped in the car, and drove like you know what 1.5 hours to where my parents live. On the way there I was finally able to get some more info from a neighbor who drove mom to the hospital. Apparently my mom was in the bedroom and my dad was in the back of the house watching TV when he started feeling faint. He got up to go tell her and made it about ten feel before he passed out, fell backwards and hit his head on the hardwood floor.

My mom had gone to get a neighbor, and he helped my dad until the ambulance came. My dad tried to stand up again, passed out again, and we had no idea why.

When I got to the ER my dad looked awful and was having terrible stomach cramps, and other things that come along with that. We immediately thought some kind of stomach bug, especially since they had just been out of the country. They were able too get his blood pressure stabilized (it had plummeted when he passed out and was super low in the ambulance).

He was in a lot of pain and they were afraid too give him morphine because it would drop his pressure more. In the end, they did it anyway because he was in so much pain and just put him in the CCU instead of a regular room so they could monitor his pressure. He got to the CCU at 2:30 (I had gone home to my parents house to sleep).

The next day I spent the whole day at the hospital with my dad while they waited for results from a bunch of samples they did to see if he had a virus or C-Diff. We had to gown up and wear gloves in case it was C-Diff. They did a catscan the night before that was clear, and they had put five staples in his head from where he fell. He was feeling better, still not wonderful, but much better.

We spent all day waiting for dr.’s to come in (surgeon, regular dr. GI dr. Cardiologist, etc.) and were told around lunch it wasn’t C-diff (hooray!) so no more gowns/gloves. At 4:30 we saw the Gi dr. and his theory made the most sense. Between going overseas, jet lag, stress from his mother dying/funereal/estate stuff etc., dehydration, not eating well…it just all came together and caused this. (He had a couple fancy terms for it now I can’t remember!)

So basically, he wasn’t “sick”, didn’t have a virus, and needs to take better care of himself. He had to stay overnight again Thursday, and I spent all day Friday with him again at the hospital. He. was. going. stir. crazy. He was perfectly fine by then just a little weak because he was on a liquid diet, and the doctor didn’t come to discharge him until 4:00! It has been a long few days, but I am SO thankfully it wasn’t anything to do with his heart, a stroke, or something else. I am also glad he didn’t hit his head on the brick fireplace two feet away, or the corner or a piece of furniture.

Also, my mom normally would be at church choir practice at that time, but she was so tired that day she didn’t go, so she wouldn’t have even been home! I don’t even want to think about what would have happened then.

So, sorry to ramble on with the story, but up until Thursday afternoon we weren’t even sure if the gender party was still on for Saturday. I could tell he felt so bad about it all, but I wasn’t concerned about the party at that point. Luckily, all is well, we are taking my dad’s blood pressure several times a day, making sure he drinks a lot of water and gets some rest. Hopefully this hard lesson won’t have to be learned again. It was one of the scariest moments of my life!

QOTD: have your parents ever called you with a health scare?

Get Your Free Printable Set!


Sign up to get my free printables on goal setting & fitness tracking.

Powered by ConvertKit


  1. Bridie Rist says:

    So glad your dad is okay. Super scary stuff! My mom has had two strokes so I know about getting those phone calls. This blog brought back many memories of that.

  2. How scary! I’m so glad he ended up being okay.

  3. I’m so glad he’s doing better. Thankfully my parents haven’t called me with their health scares but they have been for my grandparents. The most recent was last weekend so we’re waiting it out to see how that one goes.

  4. Oh wow Heather! So glad your Dad is ok!!! You’ve had such a busy last few weeks girl. I hope things slow down for you. Can’t wait to see the gender reveal party pics!

  5. SO very glad he is ok!! That was scary for a while!

    Keep reminding him of that cuff for me…haha…1 inch above the elbow! LOL

  6. So glad to hear that everything is okay with your dad, Heather. I haven’t received any phone calls like that from my parents, but I always fear receiving one, especially since I live a plane ride away from them and getting to them in an emergency won’t be the easiest thing to do.

  7. Wow! I can imagine how scary this must have been for you and your family. Glad to hear that it’s nothing too serious and that he is recovering.

  8. Oh yikes! That is so scary… glad he’s okay. My dad was diagnosed with MS when I was in college and there were some scary moments (trouble walking, etc) before we understood what was going on. It’s not fun to watch your parents get older. 🙁

  9. Heather H says:

    Sorry to hear about your dad but glad to hear that he is starting to do better. I haven’t gotten calls about my parents, I have actually been there when it happened. I remember my mom calling for me down the hall when my dad passed out on night. It was the scariest thing in the world. This was when they figured out it was a Chrons attack but still it is scary even just being there when this is going on.

  10. Wow total nightmare… I’ve had a couple of those calls for both my Grandma (passed away 3 yrs ago) and for my parents. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Very glad to hear he is better.

  11. So sorry to hear what a rough time it’s been… I hope everything is looking up soon. I’m the one my whole family calls with health scares, and it’s hard to be the one who holds it all together while everyone else is freaking out. Heart attacks, unexplained sudden paralysis, ruptured bowel, stroke, ruptured cysts… my family has called me in on all of it. Never fun, but we’ve been blessed with support, and I’m glad to see your family is too.

  12. Yikes- how scary this must have been for all of you. I’m glad your dad is ok, and I hope he’s able to take some extra time to care well for himself as he gets back on his feet!

  13. I’m glad your Dad is OK–and I’m sure you are, too!

    To answer your QOTD, many times. I’ve driven to Camarillo (about 1.5 hours) and Phoenix, AZ (about 6 hours) from Orange County, CA when my mom was in the hospital. It was one of those things where she would literally be almost at death’s door, and me showing up and talking to her helped her rally. I can think of at least 3 times that happened with hospital stays, and several more with just visits to see them when she was just not doing well.

    Almost exactly 1 year ago, she was at one of those thresholds again, but she was farther gone and now lived in Branson, MO so we couldn’t exactly just drive a few hours to get there. She was so much worse this time, and there was simply no hope that time. She passed away April 25 last year. Her memorial service was 1 year ago next Monday.

    My mom never seemed to learn her lessons–even though she claimed to each time. I pray your dad *has* learned his. It certainly sounds like he has.

  14. So happy to hear his update girl!

    My parents have a family farm, and it is a huge scary accident zone. We have had everything from broken bones, cuts, to an engine blowing up on my poor dad. It never gets any less scary.

  15. My dad has had two strokes. I was actually home and called 911 the first time. My friend came and got me the 2nd time after he saw the ambulance headed to our house. It is terrifying !

  16. How worrisome! I am so glad he’s ok and cannot wait to see the reveal! I’ve had a parent call me with grandparent health scares that required a plane ride but nothing with the parents (knock on wood).

  17. so scary! glad to hear he’s doing better and it’s nothing more serious! xo

  18. Glad everything turned out okay. My parents have done the same with diabetes and heart attacks. Being a paramedic doesn’t make it any easier, just more worrysome!

  19. Omg that would be so scary!! I can’t even imagine. I am so glad to hear he is ok and it’s nothing major!!

  20. So glad everything is okay!!

Mentioned elsewhere:

  1. Hospital Week

    Oh boy. What a whirlwind the past few days have been. I will be sharing fun photos and video from our

  2. […] plan was for a casual party. My dad was going to BBQ until he was put in the hospital, and we weren’t even sure we were having a party until Thursday afternoon. We decided to get […]