Below are some more tips from Jeff Galloway I received as a Jeff Galloway blogger. I especially love this set of tips, because it’s something I have been harping on for a few weeks now.
I got out of my comfort zone to run with a group, and I am really enjoying it and hopefully it will make me a faster runner! Check them out below, after a few words from Jeff:
The fun of running with a group pulled me into the sport 57 years ago. Running and training with my friends Steve Prefontaine, Frank Shorter Bill Rodgers, brought out the best of running in me—while we became good friends, and Olympians. As I travel the US this season, for our Galloway training program kickoffs, I see the same fun, support and friendship development. I hope to see many of you at our free clinics. Here are the ways I’ve observed runners of all abilities improve more and have more fun when in the right group.
1. Great friendships
2. The miles go by quicker—telling stories, sharing life experiences
3. Guidance in running with the right group for you, with the appropriate run walk run strategy
4. Because the group is waiting for you, you will stay motivated and get out there more often
5. You’ll learn about some interesting races, places to run, fun running experiences
6. On the really tough workouts and races, the group will pull you through
7. Access to tools for management of nutrition, fluids, motivation, aches/pains
8. The right group leadership can fine-tune the pace of each workout, avoiding injury/exhaustion
9. Helping others who are struggling bestows an amazing sense of achievement
10. Sharing the empowerment of finishing a long run can change your life
Most groups, like our Galloway programs allow runners to try them out for free. Together we can celebrate fitness and inspire others to improve the quality of their lives.
I particularly love tip number 4. I paid to do a speed work group, so the thought of wasting that money, AND knowing my group is out there rain or shine motivates me to go run. I’m not the best running self motivator, so this works so well for me!
Visit http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training-groups/list-of-cities/ to find your closest Galloway Training Program.
QOTD: What is your favorite thing about running with a group?